The Hertford British Hospital was built between 1872 and 1879 by Sir Richard Wallace for the medical and surgical treatment of "indigent and sick British nationals in and around Paris". It was named after his father, the 4th Marquess of Hertford, also a keen Francophile, who died in 1870. It was the same Sir Richard Wallace who gave his name to the Wallace Fountains, another symbol of his generosity which, to this day, still provide drinking water in the streets of Paris.
130 years late, the Hertford British Hospital Corporation (HBHC) is the charity that ensures that the medical facility founded by Sir Richard continues to serve the local and English-speaking communities.
HBHC makes available to the Hôpital Franco-Britannique-Fondation Cognacq-Jay the hospital premises located at 3 rue Barbes in Levallois-Perret. It also provides rent free accommodation to the International Centre for Dermatology (Centre International de Dermatologie) and to the British Charitable Fund, both of whom are located at 12 rue Barbès.