The Hertford British Hospital was built between 1872 and 1879 by Sir Richard Wallace for the medical and surgical treatment of "indigent and sick British nationals in and around Paris". It was named after his father, the 4th Marquess of Hertford, also a keen Francophile, who died in 1870. It was the same Sir Richard Wallace who gave his name to the Wallace Fountains, another symbol of his generosity which, to this day, still provide drinking water in the streets of Paris.
130 years late, the Hertford British Hospital Corporation (HBHC) is the charity that ensures that the medical facility founded by Sir Richard continues to serve the local and English-speaking communities.
HBHC makes available to the Hôpital Franco-Britannique-Fondation Cognacq-Jay the hospital premises located at 3 rue Barbès in Levallois-Perret. It also provides support to the British Charitable Fund and, starting in 2022, to other British charities and associations in France involved in healthcare.