The Hertford British Hospital was founded in 1871 by Sir Richard Wallace for the medical and surgical treatment of "indigent and sick British nationals in and around Paris". It was named after his father, the 4th Marquess of Hertford.
The Hertford British Hospital was opened on its present site in 1879. 130 years later it is still an active charity and in 2008 merged with the neighbouring Hôpital de Perpetuel Secours to form the Institut Hospitalier Franco-Britannique (IHFB). In 2019 the IHFB became part of the healthcare group Fondation Cognacq-Jay, under the name of Hôpital Franco-Britannique.
The Hertford British Hospital Charity ensures that the medical facility founded by Sir Richard Wallace continues to serve the local and English-speaking communities.
In addition to participating in the management of the of the Hôpital Franco-Britannique, the Charity also provides premises for the International Centre for Dermatology (Centre International de Dermatologie) and the British Charitable Fund.